The Albany and Hudson's North Chatham Station was built about 1900. It served the 35-mile third-rail line between Hudson and Albany. The single-story brick station included an express room, waiting room, and ticket office. Power for the third rail was generated from the company's hydroelectric station at Stuyvesant Falls and carried by high-tension lines to each of the railroad's three substations at Hudson, North Chatham, and Greenbush. All three also functioned as passenger stations. In the North Chatham substation, housed in the south end of the building, the 12,000-volt alternating current was stepped down to 380 volts in air-blast transformers, and commuted to 600-volts dc in rotary converters, the pressure at which it was delivered to the third rail.