The Newburgh Heritage Collection is a virtual archive of material from the Parish, Village and City and Town of Newburgh New York. Spanning the years from 1791 to the early 20th Century, in this collection are documents from several repositories that reveal aspects of community life: socio-economic, religious, bureaucratic and cultural.
Browse all Newburgh Heritage Collections
Browse Newburgh municipal records (Glebe, Village, City, Boards, etc.) - The Palatines arrived in 1709, having been granted a patent by Queen Anne in 1708. In subsequent land divisions in 1715, a central area was set aside to support school and church through land leases in a European Glebe. While no records exist for Newburgh’s life as a parish (1709-1796), the fire brigades were granted a charter from New York State to operate officially in 1797. Three years later, particularly because of the need for administering the water supply, residents were granted a village charter. Essential to the survival of these early communities were the census and the assessment. Newburgh’s growth soon required the organization of citizens into oversight boards.
Browse Newburgh organizational records (Churches, Fire Dept., etc.) - As Newburgh Parish grew into a village and town, churches became central to the community’s stability and welfare. Although Newburgh began as a Lutheran parish, within a century Reformed Protestant churches gained strength and their records tell a tale of social charity and power.
The volunteer Fire Department, chartered back in 1797, remained an independent civic organization through the first decades of the 20th Century.