• Jannetje Hoogteeling was born February 5, 1713. She married Hendricus DuBois May 6 1733 when she was 20. She died on March 30, 1792 at 79 years old.
• Jannerje's sister, Anna M. Hoogteeling, married Hendricus’ brother Cornelius Du Bois.
• Hendricus and Cornelius Parents were Solomon DuBois and Tryntje Gerritse Foochen
• Jannetje and Anna’s Parents were Phillip Hoogteeling and Jannetje Roosa.
• Hendricus DuBois was a wealthy man. The 1790 Federal Census lists him as owning twelve enslaved Africans.
• Jannetje Roosa’s parents were Heyman Aldertse Roosa and Anna Margaret Roosevelt who is an ancestor to later Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Hendricus was a man of means and influential in the community.
• Solomon DuBois, Hendricus' father, was an officer in the New Paltz Church, occupied civil trusts, and had owned a large quantity of land in New Paltz and the surrounding area. His father Louis DuBois got the patent for the land on June 2, 1688 which he gave to his sons. Solomon was very wealthy and probably the first man to build a house outside of the village of New Paltz. Cornelius and Hendricus lived on their father’s estate in Ulster Country.
• Through his father’s will, Hendricus inherited the original land granted to Louis DuBois in the New Paltz patent.
This digital image may be used for educational or scholarly purposes without restriction. Commercial uses of the item may be subject to fees and restrictions. Please contact the holding institution for information.
Archival TIFF - MicroTEK 9800XL; Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0; 24 bit color; 600 ppi; RGB; 105, 419, 288 bytes: 4879x2644 pixels; no compression