In 1796, members of the New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), founded the School at Nine Partners in Millbrook, NY, the first co-educational Friends boarding school in the country. In time, the School moved to Union Springs, NY and changed its name to Oakwood Seminary. A fire on that campus in 1917 resulted in the School's move to Poughkeepsie in 1920, where it became known as Oakwood Friends School.
An image of the Oakwood Seminary can be found at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~springport/pictures_19/00001932.jpg
This digital image may be used for educational or scholarly purposes without restriction. Commercial uses of the item may be subject to fees and restrictions. Please contact the holding institution for information.
Archival TIFF - MicroTEK 9800XL; Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0; 24 bit color; 600 ppi; RGB; 43, 073, 560 bytes: 5503x2608 pixels; no compression